If you are planning to go on a long road trip or a fishing trip, the first thing that you will take with you is a good quality cooler. It is where you will pack in your foods and drinks to ensure that these remain fresh and cool for long. However, once the trip finishes, the only thing you need to do is clean the cooler properly and keep it ready for the next trip. Although this may sound like a very simple job, in reality it is not that simple.
It is needless to say that in order to ensure maximum performance in your cooler, you will have to use it the right way. It is also important for you to keep it clean and dry when not in use. If you fail to keep the cooler clean, it may lose its capacity at keeping foods and drinks cool for a long time.
Tips to Enhance the Performance of Your Cooler
Most of you probably use the best quality cooler from http://thecoolertalks.com but fail to get the desired cooling solutions from it. The only reasons may be wrong usage of the cooler. Here are some tips to help you get the maximum cooling performance from your cooler.
- It is always better to freeze the foods and drinks beforehand so that by the time you decide to pack them in the cooler, they already get in a frozen condition.
- It is always recommended to place the ice in your cooler. Since cold air travels faster, it is always better to load in the bottles and cans first. Do not forget to put in ice on top of these cans again.
- Do not make the mistake of storing the cooler in hot locations. Thus, avoid places such as your garage or even the trunk of your car to store away the cooler. However, if nothing can be done about it, you can at least bring in the cooler 24 hours before you decide to use it. It is also important for you to place a towel below the cooler before you place it on a hot surface to prevent the bottom of the cooler from melting.
- Always make sure that the cooler is placed away from the sun. If you place the cooler in a shade, ice will be able to last almost 2-times longer.
Tips to Clean the Cooler
Just like it is important for you to follow some tips while packing in foods and drinks in a cooler to ensure that they remain cool for long, it is also important that you follow some tips when it comes to cleaning the cooler after the trip is done. Some of these tips have been listed below for your convenience.
- While cleaning the cooler, always ensure that you clean both the inside and the outside of the cooler. Use a mild soap and warm water to clean the inside of the cooler. This should be especially done before you use it for the first time. You may use baking soda and water to get rid of tough stains. It is important that you always clean the cooler after use, especially in a saltwater environment.
- Do not make the mistake of using any brush to clean the inside of the cooler. It is always recommended to use your hands to clean the inside to avoid damaging the cooler in any way.
- If you pack in foods and drinks inside for a long time, it will invariably have odor inside. In order to get rid of the odor always use a diluted solution of water and chlorine bleach. However, even after cleaning properly you find traces of odor, wipe the inside with a cloth that is saturated with vanilla extract. Leave it inside the cooler overnight.
- Before you decide to store away the cooler after cleaning it thoroughly, always dry it with the lid open. This will reduce the possibilities of mildew or mold from growing inside.
Even if you do not intend on using the cooler for a long time, it is always better to clean it properly once in a while so that it stays away from bacteria. Although this sort of deep cleaning may not be needed all the time, it is still a good practice after transporting open food in the cooler or using it to hold fish or any type of meat. Since coolers are supposed to be used to transport foods and beverages, it is always a good habit to keep it clean and free from bacteria.