English is an important subject and it forms the foundation of a child to achieve success. English is necessary for every field of life. It helps to enhance the confidence of a person when applying for jobs, talking to someone, or speaking in public. Therefore, children should learn English grammar rules properly. If students are preparing for the CBSE class 7 English exam, they can read here to know more about how to prepare.
A few tips given here can help class 7 students to prepare for their English exam.
- Read all the chapters of your NCERT book thoroughly – Students should start by reading all the chapters of their NCERT book thoroughly. They should try to answer the questions given at the back of every chapter. It is a good way to prepare for the literature part. Read every lesson at least once. They can also check the answer in the NCERT solutions because it will help them write down specific answers for each question. They can also know the pattern of a question paper. In CBSE class 7, there are two books, Honeycomb and a supplementary book.
- Practice writing – English is a language and students make a lot of mistakes while writing. Therefore, practice is important. It will help them to avoid spelling and grammatical errors in their paper.
- Go through previous years papers – Students can revise their lessons by going through previous years’ English papers. It will help them to understand the pattern of the exam and will also help them to know the important topics. They can find repeated questions in every paper from important topics. Therefore, they can pay attention to the important lessons.
- Check the speed of writing – Students should have a good writing speed for scoring good marks. Many students are not able to complete their papers in time as they write slowly. It is important to manage time and speed when giving the exam. They can increase their speed by practicing English papers at home.
- Grammar knowledge – Students often do not pay much attention to grammar when giving English exams. But, it is the most important thing for scoring good marks in the English language section. Children should revise all grammar concepts thoroughly. They can score high in English if they have a good command of grammar. For example, you can try Key to Middle School English Grammar and Composition by P.C. Wren and H. Martin, The Grammar Gate Book 8 by Dr NDV Prasada Rao, and Elementary English Grammar and Composition Class-8 by N.K. Aggarwal. Students will learn about nouns, verbs, pronouns, conjunctions, tenses, direct and indirect speech, and active and passive voice.
- Avoid writing unnecessary information – Each question in the paper is given specific marks. They should try to answer each question according to the weightage of marks given to it. For example, if the question is for 2 marks, they should write a short answer. They should make sure that they write two important points in the answer.
- Neatness and cleanliness – Students should make sure they write each answer properly. Try to keep margins on each side. Leave a line after finishing each answer so that the teacher can understand where the next answer is starting. Writing English papers in neat and clean handwriting is a good step for scoring high.
How To Attempt Different Parts Of The English Exam?
The English exam for class 7 is divided into different sections. Students have to attempt each section. A few tips are given here for attempting each part of the English exam:
- Reading section – In the reading section, there are one or two passages. Read the passage and answer the questions asked based on the passage. It is important to read the passage carefully. Underline the important information given in the passage. This will help in answering each question quickly. Every passage has a theme, so try to find out the theme of the passage for understanding it properly.
- Writing section – The writing section will have two or three parts. Choices may be given. The writing part helps to determine the creativity of a student. They should be well aware of the writing rules and format for writing a notice, a message, a letter, an essay, and a report. Avoid exceeding the word limit because it will not do any good. Try to write short sentences which are easy to understand.
- Grammar section – The grammar section is the easiest part of the English exam. You can score good marks in grammar if you know the rules. Read the question properly and try to apply your mind when solving grammar questions, as it can help increase your score in English. Understanding the rules of English grammar is more important. Practice is important for understanding and thorough knowledge. When they practice English grammar, it will help them to remember the rules throughout life. Students should practice English grammar in the base years of their studies, this will give them good results in the long run.
- Literature section – Students should have a thorough knowledge of each lesson for the literature section. Questions are asked from the NCERT book. Therefore, revise all questions given at the back of the NCERT book. Read each question carefully and try to write the relevant answer for each question. Write an answer depending on the weightage of marks given to the question.
English is a lengthy paper because it takes a lot of time in the writing section. The best way to manage time is to write relevant answers to each question. Avoid writing above the word limit as it is a waste of time. Students will not necessarily get more marks if they write more. Therefore, write the answers within the word limit and try to write the important points only.
Students can score 99 per cent marks if they do well in all the sections of the paper. They should have a good grasp of each chapter as well as the grammar rules for scoring high in the English paper.
Leave a Reply