Every beginnermust decide whether to begin with clones and seeds. Many theories exist about the success and failures of each of these choices. The decision one makes determines the life cycle of the plants and the ultimate harvest from the crop. It also helps one to plan the operations needed on the farm.
Intricate planning is critical if the grower plans to sustain the clone in subsequent crops. Both options have merits and demerits. The choice depends on the grower’s preference and resources.
Why begin your growing venture with clones?
Most beginners opt to start with cannabis clones over seedlings for the following reasons:
- Female gender
Cannabis Sativa plant has male and female gender. Therefore, is my cannabis plant male or femaleis not a question to ask when you buy clones.As expected, the female gender contains the flowering properties that become the bud. Investing in cloned cannabis ensures that the gender of the herb is female. However, if placed under stressful conditions the plant can turn into a hermaphrodite.
On the other hand, male cannabis herb does not have the potency present in female plants.
- Reliable propagation
Sourcing your clone from a reliable supplier gives the guarantee that you’re investing in a worthwhile venture. Ask your provider for documentation showing the success of precious growers. The proof gives assurance that your investment in the clone will pay off.
- Speeds the growing process
A clone is already made the shoot. Therefore, once on the farm, it continues growing thus saving you the seedling problems and time. On the other hand, seeds take time to sprout and the germination process can also fail depending on the prevailing conditions.
- Clones are hardy
Seeds are delicate and can easily lose potency if mishandled. However, clones are hardy and less delicate than cannabis seeds. A clone is already sprouted and easy to nourish and tend than a seedling which is often delicate.
- Clones are easy to grow
Once you purchase the close, the grower plugs them into the growing medium. This is an easy task for beginners who lack knowledge about growing cannabis.
Demerits of clones
- No taproot
Clones come without taproot, instead, they grow fibrous roots which limit the growth, strength, and stability of the plant.
- Susceptible to diseases
Clones are susceptible to diseases like powdery mildew. This is a problematic disease to treat and can compromise the productivity of the plant.
Benefits of using cannabis seeds
- Taproot- Cannabis has a taproot which ensures the herb is stable, strong and well-supported
- Starting from a seed guarantees the grower the absence of disease. A seed is clean and rarely inherits diseases from its mother plant.
- Cannabis seeds have a variety to choose your preference. Clones come in limited varieties available at the retailer’s inventory.
- Seeds can last long if well preserves. At the same time, storage does not compromise potency. Once you buy a clone, one must use it or lose it, thus it does not have a long shelf life. However, one can buy, store and wait for the appropriate time for planting the seed.
- It is challenging to tell the gender. One has to wait and see what becomes of the seed.
- Seeds are delicate from when it pops to becoming a shoot.
- Germinating seeds need patience and skill.