Bail is a deposit amount that helps the defendant in getting out of jail till the court date. The amount is generally used as collateral for ensuring the defendant appears in court for any detailed proceedings. All the cases may not be a bailable option, but depending on the type of crime, the court may offer bail to the defendants. Let us discuss what actually bail bonds are.
What are bail bonds?
Defendants are provided options for contacting the bail agents. Contracts are to be written that ensure that the defendants will be showing up in future legal proceedings.
Different Types of Bails
- Cash Bail- When the co-signer pays the bail amount in cash to the court, the defendant obtains cash bail.
- Surety Bail- This type of bail appears when the company guarantees the bail for the defendant.
- Property Bail- When the defendant pledges property like stocks, jewelry, or real estate where the amount is either greater than or equal to the bail amount. The property remains in the ownership of the court until all the scheduled appearances are made by the defendants.
- Recognizance Bail- This is the contract where the defendant puts a signature to an agreement that is written with the court, promising to abide by certain conditions as and when demanded by the court.
Functions of the Bail Bonds
Castle bail bonds may work through different bail bond agencies and generally works 24 hours a day.
- Paperwork is created between the court and the defendant and the payment and the proceedings may also take place electronically.
- If there is any collateral, the paperwork needs to mention them clearly. It also includes the number of fees and the other charges involved.
- The bail agents should be aware of the full name of the defendant, the charges for which they are in jail and the booking number of the bail bonds.
- When the bail bondsmen appear at the jail, they should carry the receipt and all the paperwork and should be aware of the court date. With all the information, the entire bail process may take several hours depending on the work pressure of the particular jail.
- When the defendant is unable in showing up at the court proceedings, the bail agents hold the responsibility of paying the entire amount to the court.
- The bail agents will then hire bounty hunters to take the defendants back to the jail
- When the defendants fail in appearing on the scheduled dates at the court, the collateral will be lost and additional penalties may also be charged depending on the contract.
- Sometimes, the judges in the court may set the bail amount at the bail hearing depending on the amount of the crime.
Bail bonds are options where the defendants get the opportunity to get out of jail. Sometimes the amount of bail is set so high that bailing somebody out of jail takes great responsibility. It is very crucial in ensuring that the defendant will appear in court for the legal proceedings. Depending on the type of crime, you should select the type of bail bonds that will suit you.