With the influx of beauty and cosmetics websites, it is obvious that the beauty industry has been a huge contributor to e-commerce. Even with the global pandemic, a huge spike has been seen on online sales for the beauty and cosmetics sector. The advent of online retailers and multi-brand platforms have enabled the rapid increase in sales for cosmetic products.
So, how has the beauty industry conquered e-commerce?
There are many factors that contribute to out-of-store purchases made from the beauty industry. Allow us to list a few…
- Social Media – Cosmetic companies have relied on social media to drive up sales through digital marketing. For instance, products commonly posted on Instagram have garnered huge sales increases owing to the influencers featuring them on their feeds. With this, Instagram has upped their game and made a way for followers to directly purchase products from a post. Facebook has also become a hotbed for beauty and cosmetics marketing. With over 2.7 billion users, Facebook is a great digital marketing platform.
- Blogs and Vlogs – Products features and reviews are also great ways to gain a following. Video content of makeup or skincare tutorials and product unboxing and reviews have become prominent online. Since many people now rely on other people’s opinions to make an informed choice, many beauty bloggers and vloggers gain a following by introducing up and coming products and brands from the beauty industry. Beauty gurus have amassed a following just by offering advice on beauty and skincare.
- Personalized Customer Experience – Even without being personally there to try on the products, digital innovations have made online shopping customer and user friendly. Some of these innovations are;
- Augmented Reality – the option for an in-store experience is possible through Augmented Reality. Consumers now have the ability to try on makeup and other cosmetics even before purchasing.
- Virtual Reality – with the use of VR glasses, it is similar to Augmented Reality. The realistic simulations offer a digital customer experience.
- Customer Service Chatbots –online assistance provided to help offer suggestions, answer inquiries and provide whatever help the customer needs real time.
- Beauty Apps – Having beauty apps on mobile phones have made consumers conscious about appearances. The beauty industry has invaded the digital space with the goal of reaching more global consumers, and with the inception of beauty apps and filters, this is very viable. Filters have increased the interest in makeup and cosmetics as they give a sort of preview for the user.
- Mobile Catalogs – Digital catalogs or brochures have been helpful to consumers when it comes to selecting products and brands best suited for them. Many brands have digitized their brochures so that online consumers have easier access to their products. These brochures are usually sent to consumer emails as weekly or monthly updates of what new and upcoming. When consumers subscribe to newsletters, they have the firsthand information from the brands.
- Beauty Websites – Multi-platform websites offer a wide range of products from multiple brands which help consumers shop with ease. Everything they can possibly need in the line of cosmetics and beauty are in one place. They can browse anytime and anywhere on their mobile phones or laptop. Major brands are also updating their websites and social media accounts as they see the need to expand in the online market. It is apparent that sales and revenue are highly reliant on.
- Pop-up Shops – Even though many retailers have taken to online selling, they still see the value of personal shopping experiences. Brands are putting pop-up shops in strategic locations to help market their products. This trend is actually becoming popular, and consumers are clamoring to these locations. The appeal of limited time offers and accessibility that come with these pop-up shoes make the hype even bigger.
The innovations brought about by the digital age has indeed improved the overall revenue of the beauty industry. On the other hand, the significant need and demand for beauty and skincare products have made it easy for the industry to conquer e-commerce. This is highly beneficial for commerce in general. The beauty industry has proven to be lucrative and is showing no signs of slowing down. Truth is, it couldn’t be more straightforward for the consumers nowadays.