Keeping pets as an object of their love and care or as a means to display their wealth and power has always been a thing among humans. For this reason, throughout history and even now, humans have owned lots of different animals as pets.
These animals have ranged from the very aggressive ones like lions and tigers to the more companionable ones like the monkeys and parrots. However, none has stood the test of time like the dog.
It is found in so many homes and its influence is such that some homes are not complete without it.
It’s one thing to own a pet and another thing to take proper care of it. Thankfully, there are rules and guidelines in the society these days that prescribe the basic standard of care to be given to pets.
But as a dog owner who loves their pets, it is usually worrying when they are not in good health. One would guess that in such a situation, you would want to give them the best treatment option available. The good news is, there is such an option and it is also affordable.
The CBD Treatment Option
CBD, also known as cannabidiol, is one of the various substances that make up the cannabis plant. Though there are many other compounds that make up the cannabis plant, cannabidiol is one of its major components with the other major component being the THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol).
The primary difference between these two compounds is that cannabidiol is not psychoactive which means that it doesn’t get you high. It is THC that has this effect. You can read more on this here.
The reason for CBD’s current popularity in the health and wellness industry is because of its health benefits. These health benefits are not limited to just humans only, but to all mammals.
Research has shown that this is due to the ECS (Endocannabinoid System) present in all mammals. It is able to interact with endocannabinoid receptors in the body triggering various responses that result in the health benefits that have made CBD products to be well sought after today.
The health benefits are true for all mammals whether they be cats, dogs or humans.
What are these Health Benefits?
There are many health benefits to be gained by your pets when given cannabidiol based treatments and products. Below are some of the properties of CBD and the benefits these properties offer:
- It Is a Powerful Analgesic: Analgesics basically, are pain medications and help ease the discomfort it causes and CBD is very effective at doing this. It has been proven to be more efficacious than most analgesics available in the market. You will note the difference in your pet’s health condition.
- It Is Anticonvulsant: This perhaps is one of its most popular benefits for your pet. Its ability to help manage and calm seizures, tremors and muscle spasms in all mammals has largely contributed to its being in popular demand today. You can read more about this here: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/05/190521101450.htm
- It Is Anti-Inflammatory: CBD helps treat inflammations which might occur for one reason or the other in your pet, constituting a real bother. Studies show that this condition can be common in some dog species especially the large breeds. Thankfully, with this treatment mode it can be managed, even treated.
- Helps Fight Cancerous Tumors: Cannabidiol use has been known to help fight off malignant tumors when detected in its very early stage. It also generally helps slow the tumor’s growth, helping in the general management of the condition. Note that it is not a cure for cancer but one that helps with the condition. It might even be preferable to chemotherapy for your pet.
- It Is Antiemetic: This refers to its ability to handle conditions like nausea and vomiting which can be symptoms of a health challenge or the result of some treatments or procedure that the body might have undergone. If not properly handled, it might lead to huge weight loss, dehydration, loss of appetite etc. However, this treatment mode is able to handle these side effects.
- Stress and Anxiety: There is a condition in dogs called separation anxiety which they might suffer from for one reason or the other. Treating this condition with cannabidiol will help boost their serotonin levels which will in turn have the effect of relaxing them and making them feel calm.
Are there any Side Effects?
Currently, there are no known serious side effects to giving CBD to your pet. Even when there are some mild cases or reactions, they are generally milder and less serious than the side effects from some regular medications.
Here is a list of some possible side effects:
- Low blood pressure
In the event that any of these side effects occur when using the cannabidiol treatment, it is advised that you immediately stop the medication and then get in touch with your veterinarian for proper guidance. Your Vet should be able to provide proper guidance on how to proceed further.
What to Look Out for When Purchasing CBD Products
As we learn more about dogs and the effect CBD has on them, there are a number of things that have been shown to be capable of affecting the effectiveness of this medication. Based on these, you should note the following when making your purchase:
- Buy Organic and Natural Products: Ensure that the products that you are purchasing are totally natural, organic and pesticide free.
- Choose Quality Over Quantity: Ensure that, in the bid to cut costs, you do not sacrifice quality over quantity as the cheaper products might be substandard or even fake.
- Buy Only from Proven Brands: Ensure that you only make purchases from trusted and proven brands that sell high quality products. A good way to find such a brand is by reading through reviews and customer feedback.
- Buying In Oil Form Is Better: It is always more advisable to buy in oil form for your pets because its dosage is easily adjustable.
It is your responsibility to take proper care of your pets. In other to be able to do this, one should be abreast of the best methods and ways to maintain and keep them healthy.
Thankfully, we have looked at one highly effective method that you can take advantage of today to improve your pet’s health and general wellbeing.