2 treated after apartment fire


Leader Staff

Two people were treated for smoke inhalation after an apartment fire in Shawano on Wednesday.

Shawano police and fire departments responded shortly before 5 p.m. to the fire at 118 Prairie Street.

When officers arrived they found smoke coming from a ground floor apartment and observed two citizens assisting the lone occupant out of the apartment that was on fire.

Officers Noah Bunt and Tyler Thornborrow helped the citizens remove the occupant outside. The officers then went back into the building and evacuated the other apartments.

The fire department found the stove on fire and quickly knocked down the fire.

A subsequent investigation determined the 68-year-old female occupant fell asleep while cooking food on the stove.

She and a 37-year-old male resident from another apartment were transported to ThedaCare Medical Center-Shawano for smoke inhalation.

The Shawano Area Fire Department remained on scene for two hours.

According to Fire Chief Shawn Borlace, the fire was contained to the kitchen and caused approximately $3,000 damage.

All of the other residents were allowed to return to their apartments within an hour.