The rain kept falling throughout the morning, but organizers of Clintonville’s Memorial Day program decided to hold the ceremonies as planned.
The parade traveled from the Veterans Memorial Circle, where a wreath was placed in honor of veterans, to Graceland Cemetery, where the program continued.
“We’ve marched in the rain before,” veteran Jim Dins said.
The Clintonville High School marching band, however, rode a bus to the cemetery entrance.
Keynote speaker retired Col. Richard Kucksdorf said that the weather perhaps kept attendance down a little, estimating 7 percent of the city’s residents were there. He wondered where the other 93 percent were.
“For some, Memorial Day is a day to open the cottage, a day off from work and school; they take the day for granted,” he said.
President Lincoln said that any country that does not honor its veterans won’t last, Kucksdorf said in his presentation.