Clintonville’s Main St. reopening

Dedication ceremony planned next summer
By: 

Grace Kirchner, Leader Correspondent


Photo by Grace Kirchner A variety of trees are being planted on North Main Street in Clintonville as the road reconstruction project comes to a close. They are expected to grow 14 to 35 feet tall when mature.

A nearly seven-month reconstruction project will come to a close Friday when North Main Street reopens in Clintonville. Project manager Korey Boehm says workers are putting the finishing touches on the $4.5 million project that replaced worn-out pavement, underground utilities and storm sewers.

Crews are adding pavement markings and planting about 70 trees to replace those cut down last spring. Once the lights are turned on and barriers removed, the road – currently open to local residents – will fully reopen to traffic.

In addition to the new pavement, utilities and storm sewers, North Main Street also has new curbs, gutters, sidewalks, street lights and landscaping. The street was widened by one foot on each side to accommodate new bike lanes, and on-street parking is no longer permitted.

Peters Concrete Company has been the prime contractor for the reconstruction, which also replaced the pavement at the intersections of state Highways 22 and 156. The intersections of state Highway 156 and Green Tree Road as well as Main and 16th streets were realigned to improve sight lines for motorists.

Federal transportation funds will cover about 80 percent of the project, with the remaining 20 percent being covered by state funds.

Local money will pay for 100 percent of the city water main and sanitary sewer system replacements. Sixty-five homeowners have been assessed a fee of $1,696.93, and one business has been assessed a fee of $2,031.78. These fees can be paid in installments or added to their tax bills.

The new trees being planted include varieties of elm, Callery pear, flowering crab, lilac and roughly 10 other types. The trees are expected to mature to heights between 14 and 35 feet.

City Administrator Sharon Eveland said a North Main Street dedication ceremony is being planned for summer.