Packers stunned by Bears

Rodgers leaves game with shoulder injury

Photo by Jim Leuenberger Packers receiver Jordy Nelson runs after a catch during the first half of Monday’s game against Chicago at Lambeau Field in Green Bay. The Packers lost 27-20.

Photo by Jim Leuenberger Packers running back Eddie Lacy runs during Monday’s game against Chicago Bears. The Packers lost 27-20.

The Green Bay Packers may have lost much more than a game Monday night.

It was the nightmare scenario for the Green Bay Packers, losing to NFC North Division rival Chicago, 27-20, at Lambeau Field and losing quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

A wild first quarter that saw an interception by Bears defensive end Julius Peppers, a blocked punt by Jamari Lattimore and a 32-yard touchdown run by James Starks couldn’t rival the drama of Rodgers leaving the game after the Packers’ first drive.

Rodgers suffered a shoulder injury when he was sacked by defensive end Shea McClellin on third-and-8 on the Bears’ 9-yard line. The Packers settled for a 30-yard Mason Crosby field goal. After being looked at by trainers, Rodgers ran to the locker room.

The Packers’ offense sputtered under the direction of backup quarterback Seneca Wallace, who would finish the night 11 of 19 for 114 yards and an interception. He was picked off by Peppers on his first drive and struggled to find receivers for most of the night.

About the only positive in the game for the Packers was the play of rookie running back Eddie Lacy, who carried the ball 22 times for 150 yards. Starks chipped in 40 yards on six carries, most coming on the touchdown that put the Packers up 10-7.

“After the injury to Aaron Rodgers, I thought we ran the ball very well,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said, “but we were not very productive in the passing game, especially on third down.”

The Packers were one for 11 on third down in the game.

The Josh McCown-led Bears (5-3) climbed into the lead on a 23-yard pass from McCown to Brandon Marshall and a 1-yard run by Matt Forte early in the second quarter. Bears kicker Robbie Gould added a 24-yard field goal just before halftime to put the Bears up 17-10.

Lacy provided a spark early in the second half, gaining 56-yards on his first carry of the second half and then punching it in from the Bears’ 1-yard line a play later to tie the game at 17-17.

“It was perfectly blocked,” Lacy said. “I just had to make one guy miss and run as fast as I could.”

A surprise onside kick on the ensuing kickoff set the Packers (5-3) up for a 23-yard Crosby field goal and the lead.

The Packers' offense would go dormant from there, while the Bears would add 10 points on a 6-yard pass by McCown and a 27-yard field goal by Gould.

After getting the ball back with 9:48 left to play, the Bears went on 18-play drive that drained the clock down to just 53 seconds.

“It was frustrating,” Packers defensive tackle B.J. Raji said. “That’s not like us. Give the Bears credit. They played better than us tonight. They had a good game plan and they stuck with it.”

McCown clearly won the battle of the backups, finishing 14 of 22 for 196 yards and two touchdowns. Forte had 42 yards on 11 carries. Marshall had five catches for 84 yards.

The loss drops the Packers into a three-way tie for the NFC North lead with Chicago and the Detroit Lions.

After the game, McCarthy said Rodgers would get more testing done on his shoulder Tuesday and that there was no timetable for his recovery.